03 January 2011

Hope

Hey, Everyone!

I'm sitting here wracking my brain for something to say. After all, with two weeks off of blogging, shouldn't I have plenty subject material? But the truth is that other than the traditional Christmas stuff (which, by the way, was awesome), I basically just took a ten day nap, using up the vacation time I had left so I wouldn't just lose it when the new year rolled around. I spent a week sleeping in and reading on the couch with my poodle in my lap- one of those phases where you read like a starving man at a holiday feast. I couldn't stop.

Last Friday, I caught Oprah's interview with J.K. Rowling. It was a rerun, but I missed it the first time around, so that made me really happy. It surprised me just how inspired I was just watching the interview. I'm not one of those crazed fans that stalk famous authors- and never will be- but I love it when I find a rare insight into their lives. I read Harry Potter once a year and each time am struck by Rowling's skill and ability to create Story.

The interview was so inspirational, in fact, that I spent New Year's Eve night rewriting the first 2.5 chapters of my new ms. Honestly, I wouldn't have known midnight came and went if it weren't for the fireworks a neighbor decided to set off beside my window. New Year's has never been a big thing for me. Sometimes I do stuff, sometimes I don't. This time it was just me and a few characters. Now it's caught up and I can move on!

I've also decided that it's time to re-submit my novel, the one I spent a year editing after a rousing round of rejections in 2009 and then submitted to a contest, only to receive 3 uber-confusing reviews. Now to edit one more time, research the submission process once again, write those query letters, and pray for. . .something wonderful.

Why is it so hard to hope?

Sometimes it feels easier just to bury the dreams in the basement. My mother has an ancient (okay, not that old) wooden chest in ours. There's nothing in it, but as a kid I used to imagine buried treasure inside. But I never opened it by myself because the lid was heavy and I had visions of it somehow swallowing me and closing on top of me, never to be seen again. Have any of y'all ever heard the old cassette tape story of The Case of the Secret Room from Adventures in Odessey? If you have, you know what I envisioned, except not in a secret room. Anywho, now the old chest sits empty, with boxes on top of it and luggage beside it. That's where I'd bury my dreams if I could do so and still be able to breathe in the land above. Only that's not possible. And after so long waiting, trying to gather courage and wisdom to do this again well, I think it's time.

Time to hope again. A new season. A new year. In so many ways.

Hmm... this post is very pensive. Guess I did have something to say after all. Thanks for reading, Friends! See y'all next Monday!

23 comments:

  1. I completely get what you're saying about hope. It sounds to me like you've opened that trunk though and I hope 2011 goes better for your story! :-) It must be tought to use vacation days, btw. It's too bad you were forced to do it. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope away! Hope BIG! And I hope it all goes the way you want. all the very best with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let hope bloom! Risk is living.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've often wondered the same thing about hope. I think I often keep my expectations low, thinking that a pleasant surprise is better than a crushing disappointment, but that's a rather faithless response, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Without faith it is impossible to please God. Let your hope manifest into a steadfast assurance that God is with you and for you! He will bring this to pass:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm ready to hope right along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Years! I'm not too big on New Years either. I think spending it with your characters is the only way to go! ;) That coupled with Chinese take out of course. And perhaps a brownie or two. That's what I did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the moment, it is hard to hope. It can be wrenching to open ourselves up again, even to our own dreams. But, what keeps me hoping, is to try to do that very thing that I have asked the universe to help me with. To take out my manuscript and work my a## off. Then I will breathe easier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you're going to re-submit!! Read a great post over at Keli Gwyn's site - focusing on the positive side of the publishing industry! Don't let those negatives get you down!! Have a wonderful week & God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope is one of my favorite words. It feels so refreshing and clean and positive... I love New Years for the fact that it feels like a clean slate.

    I love interviews with authors, and I've really enjoyed Rowling's interviews. I don't begrudge her an ounce of her good fortune. She started from nowhere, worked hard beyond all odds, and created something beyond what anyone else could dream. She's an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think every writer/dreamer can connect with your post. Hope is a beautiful, wonderful thing, but cast in the wrong light, it just hurts. I try to specify exactly what I'm hoping for so as to limit the burn. "I hope to fulfill my purpose in life" is much easier to see progress on than "I hope to be a successful published author" which in many ways is beyond my control.

    I hope that hope treats you well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kristen -

    Yay for naps and lots of reading! I did some of that myself.

    I'm ready to move forward again too. The Lord keeps reminding me of something that keeps coming out of my mouth about a potential agent. Think He's trying to get me to submit my manuscript? Hmm.

    Listen to His still, small voice. :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like my kind of Christmas holiday! Nothing better than spending your time off from work relaxing and reading! I wish you well on your manuscript!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That old chest could be a novel in the making. Maybe the next "wardrobe?" A character could get sucked into an alternate storyworld.

    I hope hope finds you, Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here's to hope, dear friend. I know I need a LOT of marvelous to happen this year. A lot of sacred delights.

    Cheers!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  16. New year, new hope. Definitely. I love listening to Adventures in odyssey with my kids. So well written.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hoping the new year brings you dreams fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello sweet friend! I like reading your musings. I think we all need to do that sometimes:)
    Happy week with lots of blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. You need to go out on a limb to get the sweetest fruit. Hope is a good thing.

    Love you,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE that word! JUST talked to Jeanette about it!

    God gifted us the hope of eternal life with His Son! Unfathomable!

    Put that in your New Year's pipe and smoke it:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kristen, I liked to this post in my blog, I HOPE you don't mind. But I have found myself turning over so many new thoughts I have for 2011, that I wanted to find a way to share.
    Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete