06 December 2010

In Between

Hey, Friends!

I guess I should start out saying that I am exhausted! We had our annual Christmas party at AIM last night, and I spent the week helping prepare for it. The room was beautiful, thanks to the vision/talent of my friend (who decorated it last year too). Definitely worth the time and energy... now I just need some major rest!

Today (Sunday) I slept in and cleaned/organized, thus ending my spurt of have-to-create-something-itis. I'm pretty sure it's gone now. Since I was on the go from early in the morning to midnight every night this week, I didn't get any writing done. But alas. I have a clean apartment. An organized one. And helped put together a pretty incredible success of a party. Still a week of accomplishment!

Sitting here in my wonderfully clean room, I'm a bit confused. You see, I've started transitioning decorating styles in the past month. When I moved here, I bought all the cheap stuff/pulled things out of storage that I could. Now that I've been here for a year, I have a better idea of who I am/what my decorating style is/what makes me feel at home in a room. So I've been slowly purchasing things here and there as my wallet allowed. Mostly small items, but this week I got a new bedspread. And now the change is so evident.

There's just one problem. The room is only half done.

Parts are the old, rushed together room. And some parts are the wonderfully, so-pretty-I-can't-stop-looking-at-it wonderland.

It kind of reminds me of whenever I go back through my stories and re-work things. I take the original vision and rewrite, tweak, and edit again, trying to incorporate it and make it better at the same time. Sometimes I have to start from scratch. But usually something, even if it's just the bare bones, is reusable. Until it's finished though, it's a confusing sight. I'm the only one who can see what it will be. Kind of like my room now.

But oh, the vision I have. If I can pull it off, it'll be gorgeous. That day won't be for months, though. Still, I wait... ponder... dream... rework angles, colors, light, and shadow. Trying to bring my vision to life.

Definitely reminds me a lot of the editing process.

Do you know that in between feeling?

17 comments:

  1. Yes. I know the feeling. I call it an ache. Like homesickness for some place I have never been. When the words are yet to fall where I want them, but I see... oh how I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I know it. Experience it every first draft. Hope the room turns out just as you envision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The In Between. I seem to be camped there. I've lived it for the past 6 years. I agree with Tabitha: it's a homesickness for a place you've yet to go but you KNOW you belong there.
    It's the same with my books. I know their potential. I know where they WILL be but I must first GET them there.

    Good luck with the room!!
    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean here. You've described the not quite one place or the other feeling perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes, I definitely know the feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds familiar. Both in my house and on the page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting comparison. Makes sense.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always in between, or nearly always. Except for the ONE DAY I hit send last month, I'm back to the in between!!!

    Blessings, dear one.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know exactly what you're talking about! I just threw a Christmas party SAturday and I still wasn't done decorating! Nobody noticed and a good time was had by all. That's all that really matters, right? As for my novels I think it's important for me to go back and edit until I think it's all I envisioned it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Say, do you work for AIM? There is a retirment community here of the missionaries and that's where I taught. Wondering if it is the same agency.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YEP! Can't find rest until its done...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kristen -

    I'm at that point of being half finished with some writing projects, as well as my home. We're on the same page today.

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, It's a patience builder alright! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel that in-between feeling when I'm writing...halfway through the book, trying to figure out where I'm going with this!

    Don't feel bad. I think a lot of us have to set our writing aside a little this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been in the inbetween place. At times it almost overwhelms me, but then I remember the joy of dreaming and watching a mighty hand bring all the pieces together in my life.

    Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing place to dip my toes. And it's always a blessing to meet a missionary (we served for 5 years with YWAM as a family overseas)

    Splashin,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a good analogy, and yes, I can relate! Love the "so pretty I can't stop looking at it wonderland". I have a few places like that in my house; the rest are in the work in progress place. As is much of my writing:)
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes! I'm revising a book I wrote two years ago. Definitely in between!

    Happy you found a pretty bedspread and a terrific party!

    ReplyDelete