18 October 2010

On Writing

Thank you so much for the warm return last week! It's great to be back!

So... writing. I haven't done much of it lately, actually. There just wasn't any time in the summer, with such an erratic and very, very full schedule. Which was so weird about all excitement of people in my life over the Chicken Soup story. It meant a lot that people around me made a big deal of it... but it also made me nervous, ya know? Now people are asking about the next thing. They are more readily expressing their beliefs that they will read a book of mine one day (most don't know I've written several, for I'm very in the closet as far as this blog, querying, and even what I'm writing), and while I'm thankful for their encouragement, it's scary!

Right now I have some decisions to make:

1) I have a completed manuscript that I've edited as much as I can. It's the one I entered in Genesis and got three completely different critiques for. It's so confusing to figure out what to do! Right now I have some people reading it. I'm trying to decide if now is the time to re-query (knowing that this could be my last chance for this novel), or do... what? Something. Nothing? I don't know.

2) I have another completed manuscript that needs a lot of work. It was completed my senior year of college and I haven't done much with it sense. I love the story, but at the time I felt like it wasn't the time for that one to pursue publishing. Maybe now is the time? If so, it needs A LOT of editing!

3) I started another novel last fall. I'm three chapters in and stuck. This is the stage where I sit, stare at a blank screen for hours, and pray the storyline comes. I have some decisions to make on this one too.

ARGH!

At the moment, I have another current writing project. I'm in the middle of making my Fall Newsletter for my supporters. Until that's finished, I can't even think about my novels. It's a good creative outlet for now, though.

Speaking of, if any of y'all would like to receive it (it's snail mail), please email me at kristentorrestoro@gmail.com. I promise to keep your address private.

Have a great week! See y'all around!

15 comments:

  1. I hate being in the "stuck" stage. Looks like you could go in one of three directions. I don't think any one is right or wrong, just what's on your heart. Happy deciding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following Katie a bit today and not surprisingly I once again agree w/ her thoughts. You have a big choice, but no one choice seems "best."

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have three chapters on a new manuscript and I'm kind of stuck too. It will pass. I think I need to just brainstorm a bit and write down some possible ideas to get the juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I start to panic just slightly when I feel like I'm drying out. I really like the idea of just spacing out and writing down idea's no matter how crazy they might be. i always hope and pray they lead to bigger things! And why on earth isn't your newsletter available for email too? You might double your subscribers girl! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! Sorry I didn't catch your debut; I was unplugged (okay mostly:) last week. Good to see you again. I can relate to the frustration of so many projects. I am sure that you'll work through it all with great success! Will pray for you.
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you needed a little break from writing! I just finished editing my manuscript and am now waiting. I think waiting is harder than editing!

    I'm glad your back to the bloggy world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about querying a novel knowing that it might be the last chance for it. That's why I haven't done it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Youu have some choices but seems like none of them are wowing you. I would start a while new book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kristen -

    Perhaps you might want to write a few more articles. Having a strong writing resume gives a writer credibility with editors. I've also found the small successes fuel my enthusiasm and motivation for the big projects.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    P.S. Sign me up for your newsletter.
    susanjreinhardt AT gmail DOT com
    I've entered a lot of contests and left
    my email. No big deal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. You are one busy lady. I know the Lord will show you what to do, and where to focus your energies and time.

    Love
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, Chicken Soup is HUUUUUUUGE. I guess that's what we all have to look forward to when we get that first major work published. Family will have great expectations of us becoming the next Shakespeare...and we'll feel overwhelmed by it all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe you need a little resty time before you decide on a project? Then you'll have a better idea of what one appeals to you the most. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe the next project isn't quite ready to reveal itself yet? It sounds like you're so busy you wouldn't have time right now to focus anyway. It will be clear, and you will know, when the timing is just right. It's really nice to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just know you'll find the right project to work on--and then you'll kill it! Good luck deciding!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! You DO have a lot of decisions.

    May God help you tackle 'em, one at a time.

    Sigh. The writing cave has kept me away. I miss this place!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete