04 June 2010

When We Forget. . .

Hey, Friends! One thing I forgot to say on Wednesday: that for those of you who loved the LOST finale, I'm so happy for you... and a little jealous of your fulfillment. Obviously, my opinion (strong, because it's based on emotion) is as subjective as everything else. :)



***

The thing I loved about LOST was how the show constantly surprised me. There used to be twists I couldn't predict. The characters were so rich... bigger than life.

Then the show became predictable.

It's like the writers got to the end and forgot everything in the beginning. They answered some questions, but forgot major themes. Then again, it could be how I interpreted it. For the sake of today's post, we'll pretend it's so.

Have you ever looked back at your past few chapters and realized you lost your way?

I don't think I have yet in writing. But that thought scares me to death. I know there have been times in life where I looked back, found my detour, and wonder how I missed it at the time.

I don't know if there's a lesson here... just an encouragement to remember--whether in life or in writing. And not to choose the easy way out, even if it's. . . well. . . easy. If we don't, in the end, everyone is disappointed.

By the way, I'm not saying all the loose ends need to be tied. I like it when the story ends with the possibility of imagination. But it's important to be faithful to the story.

See y'all Monday!

11 comments:

  1. I never watched Lost. I'm sorry its finale disappointed you.

    I feel your pain, though. Deadwood, St. Elsewhere, Farscape and 3rd Rock From the Sun's endings all left me feeling bummed.

    The only finale that made me cry and gave me a great sense of "YES! That was perfect" was MASH.

    Smoke monster, really? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I almost put down a book I'm currently reading b/c the author jumped into new characters so dramatically one chapter. I felt cheated, having just gotten to know the other characters. Thankfully my sister gave me the heads up it all comes together...and so far I'm seeing it.
    Have a great weekend.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate being disappointed by an ending. In fact, I've already writtten my Monday's post and it's all about endings and how they have the potential to ruin things.

    Great reminder - not to take the easy way out. Happy Friday, Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I think an ending is so important. I tend to forgive bad beginnings more than I do bad endings. Isn't that funny?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. What they did with LOST - we could never do with a book! Since I outline - I usually catch the going in the wrong direction then. And it has happened.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be faithful to the story. I like that. There are times in writing when I've faltered a bit with the theme and changed the character's motivations some. I've had to go back and fix it because usually my first idea was the best for the story and the character. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because I tend to write in series, I have to be very careful to keep consistent with each installment. It's very easy to get off course. You get new ideas, change characters without thinking. Sometimes, the new ideas are better than the first: just make sure you go back and edit the begining! I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I dive into the edits of book three. Here's hoping!

    Happy Weekend,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm completely out of the LOST loop as I never watched it, but I agree with your points. I think that things in a story should have a reason for being there. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to go back and read your last Lost post, b/c somehow I missed it. I loved Lost, except for one particular season (third, maybe, but I can't remember). Although I was good with the ending, I have a ton of unanswered questions, and they're questions that I found unacceptable to leave unanswered. A good story leaves you wondering what else happens, but a good story ties up loose ends that were introduced throughout. Does that make sense? I feel writers of Lost left too many loose ends that I don't want to wonder about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good ending...that makes the story have punch....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kristen -

    I never watched LOST. However, I can relate to being lost in my manuscript. It's easy to forget your main theme when keeping the threads of subplots going. At the same time, I don't want to leave those subplots unresolved.

    Thanks for reminding me to tie up the loose ends.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete