07 April 2010

I'm Going to Bolivia!

Hey, Friends! This weekend is Leader Training for my program, meaning I'm working straight through the weekend. It starts on Thursday, but I'll be away from my computer most of Wednesday. Needless to say, I won't have time to blog. I plan to be back next week though!

So, I wanted to let y'all know about this awesome opportunity I have coming up! If you receive my email updates or read my missions blog, then you already know. But I wanted to tell everyone else as well.

I'm going on another trip, much like the one I went on to Peru in February. This one is again to South America, to a country I've never been to. I'm going to Bolivia! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

I don't much much except for the dates (April 25-May 3) and that we'll be staying in the Andes Mountains (which I'm so excited about!). My job is to do what I do best: missions and writing. I'm going to meet people, love on them, and tell them about Jesus, to observe Bolivia, learn about the culture, and bring it back to tell y'all, better help train the Bolvia team this summer, and write about what I experience there. Oh yes--and my "husband" (camera) is coming too. He'll make sure to document the trip for you. :0)

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!

Please be praying for me as I go. There's a lot to do in preparation, travel, etc. I still need financial support--a little over $1000--and can keep raising that after the trip if I need to. (The amount I am raising a month doesn't include overseas missions. Just rent, utilities, gas, food, etc.). For those of you who’ve prayed about/mentioned occasional one time gifts, this is a good time for that. Just go to http://www.adventures.org/give, click on the “AIM Staff” link, and type my name when asked. Or you can snail mail to: Adventures In Missions, Inc., P.O. Box 534470, Atlanta, Ga. 30353-4470. "Kristen Torres-Toro" needs to be on the memo line and all checks need to be made out to Adventures in Missions.

I'll see y'all Monday for my final week of posts before Unplug Week and then Bolivia! Have a great weekend!

13 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats. Peace, joy, and love be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! I'll certainly be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen,,,
    I can understand about wanting to go to Bolivia--going there completely changed my life--I learned so much from Bolivians.
    What I don't understand is going there to "tell them about Jesus".
    After 500 years of Catholicism being shoved down their throats, and every effort made by all the other Christian denominations to eradicate their traditional religion/beliefs and cultures, don't you think they might have a clue as to what Jesus is about?
    Yes. Go and enjoy the beautiful country and wonderful people and observe: learn from the Bolivians about what they have endured from the followers of Jesus; learn how the Bolivians live with the Nature they've got, and why they need only three guiding principles: ama sua, ama llulla, ama quella. That creed is all they've ever needed for thousands of years--from way before the time of Jesus.
    Please don't fix what isn't broken like the Spaniards tried to do...the Bolivians are doing just fine without your religious 'help'.
    Have a wonderful and enjoyable trip...
    locoto

    ReplyDelete
  5. What grand adventures you have! I'm so excited for you and sending prayers your way. Looking forward to the pictures and the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the proverbial rolling stone that gathers no moss. Praise God you are His rolling stone!!

    Go, girl.
    patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! Have fun and may God change you and mold you into someone even more like Him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a wonderful time, Kristen!

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. locojhon, Kristen is going to do what she's called to do, not what you feel she should or shouldn't do. As with any people group, we all need Jesus, not religion. Jesus is a friend to the friendless, and He alone makes life better for everyone regardless of their culture or color of their skin.
    Kristen loves people but even more she's learned that the love of Jesus trumps all other love. Why wouldn't she share what she's learned in her life?
    It doesn't matter what the Bolivian people "have", it matters where they spend eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such an amazing person living such an amazing life!! I am so happy for you! That you are going on another adventure where you will share all that you believe and know, while at the same time learn and grow. I cannot wait to hear how you do.
    Many, many blessings and good wishes to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Everyone! Love you! And thanks so much for praying!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Locojhon-

    Thank you very much for your honest reponse. I appreciate what you said and understand. I agree--they probably have had too much of religion. I'm pretty sick of it myself.

    I am a missionary, so what I do is share Christ wherever I go in the world. I never shove Bible verses or rules in peoples' faces. I just try to live my faith and love those I meet. I share the hope I have when those I meet share their brokenness with me. If conversation turns to Jesus naturally, I go with it. If people aren't interested, I keep hanging out and don't push it. I respect other cultures and enter into a conversation wanting to listen and learn, not impose or dominate.

    People have done horrible things in the name of Jesus that have nothing to do with Him. I'm probably as annoyed and angry with them as you are. But that is not what I will do. Thank you for expressing your concern. I promise to be sensitive to the culture and those I meet, as I always am.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow-za! what a life you are experiencing ... you are really living.

    ReplyDelete