29 March 2010

Sleeping Beauty the Day Before Spring

She stood before me in pink and white shoes, their velcro laces securely fastened, and black cotton leggings. Practical on one end, fairy princess on the other. Her elfin face perfectly framed by a pixie cut, a pink ribbon caught the light in her eyes. Running through the yard on a beautiful March afternoon, her only care was to how high the wind lifted her princess gown, tattered from wear, and slightly darker than the dogwood blossoms down the street.

Searching for a stick to make the perfect wand, she turned to me holding one about nine inches long. "This one is perfect. It's 14 tall," she declared.

I could only agree.

The four-year-old bent over and started measuring herself. "And I'm five tall."

"But the stick is 14 tall?" I repeated just to clarify how such a small stick could be taller than her.

"Yes." She picked up another stick, this one shaped like a wishbone and half as long as the first. "This one is four tall. How tall are you?"

"Oh, maybe 17 tall?" Seriously, how could I know?

She studied me carefully, innocently swishing her poofy skirt. "You are fifteen tall," she decided.

So, friends, I am "1" taller than a stick. :0)

* * *

The final day of my dark week I got a treat--working outside on a beautiful day. This little girl found me and came over to talk. "Are you Sleeping Beauty?" I asked, figuring I had a small chance of guessing the right princess, especially since I haven't seen a Disney movie in forever. She nodded seriously.

What struck me was her simple beauty, despite the wear in her dess (obviously well loved) and the smudge on her face. She didn't need to tell anyone who she was. She knew without being told. she was a princess.

After sprinkling me with little girl fairy-dust and giving me tiny flowers, she skipped off to eat some grapes, leaving me to work in the sun on the eve of Spring.

How wonderful it is to know exactly who you are. To have the unwavering confidence of a four-year-old princess.

What about us, Friends? Do we know who we are?

23 comments:

  1. I think I'm starting to figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on it! I know I'm definitely not a princess though. :(

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. I just feel a little lost in my skin lately. It will all come back to me soon.

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Takes time and whole lot of honesty! I'm trying to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we know, not just hope, that we are children of God, all else fades into nothingness. Be blessed,

    ReplyDelete
  6. She sounds like my little daughter! She knows exactly who she is--the joy of my life! I think when we bask in God's love, then we can stay confident in who we really are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm starting to figure it out. It's a process. Cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story. You do wonder what her numbers were measuring. I'm still working on me. I've never been a princess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love this post. I knew who I was at that age, but lost it very soon afterwards. Now I'm found, but still learning.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some days I know, some days I'm still in the dark.

    Cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice story. We can learn from kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhhhh! Being molded daily.... :O)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This totally reminded me of John and Stasi Eldredge's books CAPTIVATING - you never have to teach a little girl to want to be a princess; it's pretty engrained in us.

    Super cute story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So adorable!

    When you asked that question, a song came to mind: "Oh yes, oh yes, I'm a child of the King. His royal blood now flows in my veins. And I who was wretched and vile as can be, oh yes, oh yes, I'm a child of the King."

    Guess that qualifies me as a princess, too. :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a wonderful story and so reminds me of my daughter at that age. She introduced herself as "Chelsea The Beautiful Girl." Love that! It took a while for me to be comfortable telling people I am a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful story! I just finished the NEATEST book about such a princess called "The Waiting Child."

    Inspirational. Heart-warming!

    Thanks! I needed a beautiful mind's image today!
    patti

    ReplyDelete
  17. you must tuck that away and weave it into a novel someday .. a lovely and precious image/moment.

    I think I know who I am. It's taken me 41 years and I know more learning is ahead, but I'm closer than I've ever been in saying I'm comfortable in my skin. That's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a touching post. I feel like the best days of my life have been knowing that God loves me. It makes all the difference in knowing who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This has got to be one of your most delightful posts, Kristen. What a lovely way you have of paiting a picture with strokes of words.

    I love the Crystal Lewis song, "Remember Who You Are" from a record about 15 years ago. It's what her Dad told her every time she left the house.

    ReplyDelete
  20. One of God's many flawed children He's trying to mold for Good. I smile at this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so cute! I used to know that I was a princess with utter conviction. What happened? I'd love to have that kind of imagination and fervent belief as an adult, but I try to channel it in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow. that was such a beautiful post. so elegant. so fluid.

    you have a great voice.

    best of luck with all you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is an awesome post...love how you wove the whole idea of knowing who you are...not having to guess or figure it out and using that little girl...thanks Kristen. Sarah

    ReplyDelete