15 February 2010

Snow, Olympics, Legs, Amazon, and Writing Randomness

What a weekend!

We got snow in Ga and it was so cool! Several inches! I know--laugh if you want but this is a big deal down here. I stayed at a friends' house and then we got to play in it with her dog. Remember Roi, the antagonist?






It was fun to walk outside in it, play, and take pictures. Best of all, the silence as it fell. That's my favorite part. And I saw a cardinal. Gorgeous. But I didn't get a picture of it before it flew away.

I know it's not so much everywhere else, but in Georgia, snow is magical. Like fairies. If we're lucky we see flurries maybe once a year. Snow resulting in several inches is a miracle. So last night I felt like I was surrounded by fairies.

And then, there were the Olympics! So fun!

Also, my legs are currently in Haiti. Kind of. AIM (Adventures in Missions) has set up a huge movement to get relief and people into the country so torn by the earthquake. I'm not going (for now), but last week they asked my talented friend to create a logo for the teams. It would be posted as a magnet on vans and stuff as way of identification. The next thing I knew, she pulled me outside to model. Here's the product:



Photo and creation by Connie Rock. Legs all mine. :0)


This week is going to be different. I'm technically unplugging until next Friday. But I'll still post on Wednesday of this week and be around until then. On Thursday, it's off to Peru! (We had to push back the dates of the trip because of air fare. So now it's Feb 18-23). From snow to Haiti :0) and the Amazon jungle in less than a week! That's a lot of fun!

Finally, I thought I'd give y'all a little update on my writing, since it's been a while since I've talked about it. I've been thinking a lot about the best way to present my novel (we'll call it "Novel #5") this time around. I queried it a year ago and received roughly ten battle wounds, one with an actual response (and suggestions) from a very prominent agent. I've since followed this person's advice completely. My novel has undergone extensive revisions several times over. It has been critiqued by an objective--and wise and talented--third party and is so much stronger than before. It's also lost "weight"--10k words--sitting right at 83k. I feel like I've done everything I can to it and it's ready.

But.

I'm nervous. Because this is the second time around and if all the responses are "no" again, I'm going to have to put this one aside for a long time. And that would make me really, really sad. I want this to be my first novel.

So I've decided to wait on querying. Instead, I'm going to enter the Genesis contest and one other. Both will reveal their results at the same time. I'm mostly entering Genesis for the feedback. Depending on what's said, I'll know whether to query or do more work.

In other news, all this talk about Sparks' The Wedding on Friday made me want to read it again. I think it's the first time a book I reviewed on my own blog has influenced me to re-read it for the millionth time. :0)

See y'all Wednesday!

27 comments:

  1. Have a safe wonderful trip! I'm so glad you are entering the Genesis contest.So many of us are and it will be fun to see if anyone finals:)) I know how you feel about wanting this one to be the one--I'm on to my next book and soon you start hoping that one will be it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best for the genesis contest. Feedback is so worth while isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, girl, you have a lot going on right now, don't you?

    First of all, excellent legs! What a beautiful photo by your friend. And fun snow pictures!

    SEcond of all, I think that is such a wise decision about waiting to query after the contest results. You will get excellent, excellent feedback. And maybe you'll even final. Either of which will help you query more successfully.

    Congrats on being at such a great place with your 5th novel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that pup is the embodiment of cute. Must resist urge to run out and get one just like it . . .

    Good luck with that contest. With a name like Genesis, how could a new novel go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your trip goes well! Wasn't the snow beautiful? It really was like magic.

    I know that you're really hesitant about submitting the novel...but...maybe consider a different route? Is there a small to mid-sized publisher that you'd consider sending a query or synopsis to? Many of them don't require an agent and it's how I got started. Just a thought. Also--this is a VERY good time to submit in the submissions cycle--very quiet for agents and editors right now. Just a thought.....but you should do what you feel comfortable with, Kristen.

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that logo. Your friend did a great job! Are you really going to Peru this Thursday? I'll be lifting you up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So neat they got to use your legs on the logo! I love it. Oh, to go to Haiti. It's a secret prayer I've been praying since that horrible disaster. I am itching to get my hands into something that truly matters. Ah well...

    Traveling mercies to you, dear friend. May your flights arrive on time and depart on time. May your seating be perfect and may there be NO "DR" incidents to speak of ;)

    Love,
    J
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the update! Boy, do you have a lot going on now, or what?! Beautiful feet! And hope you enjoy your time in the jungle! I think it's a great idea to enter the Genesis. It can help you determine where you're at compared to other writers, and if you final, then that could be the jump start for your novel (it was for me!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snow is magical up in the North too, especially when it's falling or the day after. Enjoy it! And it's never unwise to wait to query, especially if you aren't sure. But I understand, I'm almost there, and I'd almost rather not know the response! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are one busy chick! Will pray for you and your journey.
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristen,
    I could write ALL DAY on this blog!!!
    Sigh. have the Green Face disease over your trip. Traveling mercies!!!
    LOVE Roi!! LOVE all dogs (well, nearly)
    Does that mean you'll be at ACFW? Lord willing, we can meet up there. I'll be the chick in orange!!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are enjoying the snow. I grew up in GA, so I do know what a big deal it is. After years in PA, I've grown jaded about it and forgotten how like a miracle it is to the Deep South. Good reminder here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, your friend's doggie looks like he's having so much fun. I live in the Midwest, and I don't know what it is about the cold and the snow, but my own dog gets super hyper every time he comes in from outside.

    Glad you got to experience some of the beautiful fairyland of snow in Georgia! And nice job leg modeling for the benefit of Haiti.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy the snow, Kristen. It's fun in manageable amounts.

    I'm praying you and the team have a safe and productive trip to Peru.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. And my what beautiful feet they are too! Seriously, good luck with all the traveling and helping. Good stuff!

    As far your book goes, I have no advice except to say chin up and be true to what you feel is the story there. If you are, I'm sure the rest will happen as it should.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab idea to enter the Genesis contest. Feedback is invaluable.

    PS: You're a great leg model!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your feet are gorgeous!! We enjoyed the snow too, and you're right: here in GA, snow flurries are nothing short of magical!

    Thanks for sharing all the work you've done on your novel. I'm inspired by your efforts. That's what it's all about, right? The revision process is the most crucial, and I'm rooting for you -- publication is in your future!!

    Thanks for commenting on my blog. Have you been to Africa? I'd love to hear about it!

    Have a safe and fantastic trip!!

    ((hugs)) Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that's a lot! :-) Cool logo. I hope you have a wonderful, productive time in Peru.
    Also, only ten rejections? That's not bad. I have like 39 (but who's counting? LOL)
    It's great that you're entering it into contests too. I hope you're planning to resub to that agent. :-)
    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the legs! I'll be praying about your book!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Snow in GA? wow.

    Love the pooch; I want to kiss it!

    Have a wonderful, fruitful time in Peru.

    I hope you win Genesis, or at least some excellent feedback.

    Love
    Jen
    Audience of ONE

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kristen, this is one full post. Love the snow too, and what great pics. Have very safe journeying, girl, and entering the contests is a great idea for feedback. I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the logo (and the legs :) Best of luck on your travels and contests. I can't wait to hear how they go!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the dog in the snow! We're getting an early spring here, and I'm deeply grateful for that.

    Best of luck with your novel and the contests. I can really relate to how hard it is to have to let go of a story. Praying that you won't have to with number 5.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooh, I wish you the best of luck with the contest. And when you jump back into that query trench, I know you'll be ready! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good luck with the contests, and I hope your trip is wonderful!

    I totally get the snow thing. I'm from Southern California, so I never saw snow at my own house until I lived in Georgia for a short while. When we moved to Washington, it was like magic. We've been in Washington a long time now, and trust me: it's a lot less magical. ;) Still, I sometimes like it, and the quietness of snow falling--I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope you and your celebrity feet have a fantastic time in Peru. Kudos to you on entering the two contests. Here's hoping for great feedback, a final, and requests.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have a safe trip! Oh and when you get back there is an award for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete