25 January 2010

Displaced

Hey, Friends!

Thank you so much for your kind words and prayer this past week. I needed them and appreciated them so much! This past week has been very intense. And while I definitely missed blogging (and interacting with all of you), an unplug week was exactly what I needed. I made it by most of your blogs at least once but mostly chose not to comment because of the time factor. But I'm back this week! Can't wait to get back on it!

So, today's my 26th birthday! That's fun! It's also my first day of full time work. How ironic. I haven't started my "new life" yet, but I believe blogging will look a little different for me in the future. I'll still post Mon, Wed, and Fridays. On those days I'll be all over blogs, probably in the afternoon/evening instead of the morning like usual. For the most part I won't be online on Tues, Thurs, or weekends. I really want to open up time for writing I didn't have before, and this is the best way I can think of. I'm going to take a few weeks and see how this schedule works. Right now everything is up in the air...

So, my new home! Want to hear about it? It's a furnished basement apartment in a neighborhood. We rent from a family and right now I can hear them all running around upstairs. :0) It's really nice. Our living room looks out over the backyard and behind the fence, there are woods-y trees (not too thick--I can see a house on the other side because there are no leaves, but enough to where we won't see them in the summer). It's been raining so I can't check it out, but there's a drop-off of some kind and I'm hoping there's a creek down there.

My room is beautiful. So bright and "beachy". Thanks for all of your advice! I used a lot of them and now am in the final stages of arranging things. I'll post pictures in a week or two. Right now there's an empty bookshelf because I left all my books at home, due to the fact that I needed to purchase and put the shelf together and wasn't sure when that would be accomplished. Since I can't bring all my books, I'll need to go through them in the future and pray the ones I must have will all fit.

I spent Friday moving and unpacking (some friends came to help), then my new roommate, a friend, and I went shopping for home decoration stuff that night. I'm not much of a shopper, but it was fun and I got a lot of the "I need to get this to finish my room" pieces, like shelves and hooks and stuff. And some pretty vases, pillows, and baskets. It was strange falling asleep that night. New bed, new place, unfamiliar furniture... my mind was all swirly. I was overwhelmed. Do you know that feeling?

What about your characters?

My newest WIP (which, in all that's been happening, I haven't been able to work on in a while) is struggling with that right now. She's ... displaced... I guess that's the right word... and trying to find her way in a new world that once was familiar. I've battled my way through this a lot in missions (the combination of jet lag and culture shock is potent, even if it's on a return back to the States) and will work through it again. As I write this, I don't feel so "out of water". But it's making me think of all the little ways I can play with my newest MC as she tries to cope.

What keeps you grounded when your world turns on its end? Or your characters?

For me, it's my faith. That's the biggie. And then little things matter a lot. But I'll talk about that on Wednesday! See y'all then!

30 comments:

  1. My faith is a biggie too, but thankfully I haven't had my world upside down too often. :-) I'm glad you got everything settled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith is the key to it all! It keeps my world for spinning upside down.

    Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my world is on its head I look to family and God. Then I get really quite and look within. Silence has a way of opening doors for peace.

    Your apartment sounds wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Do you have any plans to celebrate it?

    Your new place sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!! I'm so glad to hear that you're settling into your new home. Have a wonderful first week of work and a great day today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy, happy birthday dear friend!! It sounds like things went smooth for you this weekend. I'm SOOOOOOO glad :)

    When I feel out of sorts, I usually vent. Then I calm down and talk to God. Then I seek solace in books, either my own or an old favorite.

    Have a wonderful day and take some time to celebrate :) Don't work too hard ;)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~*HAPPY BIRTHDAY~* May the lord be your compass all the days of your life. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! It's hard but fun being in a home, I think. I haven't done it in 8 years. And when I'm displaced, my faith in God is definitely at the top of the list. But support from family and friends is a very close second. Good luck with the wip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! Faith is the biggest thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. May the Lord bless you with His Presence, touch you with His magnificent love for you, and breathe His joy and grace upon you on this day He reserved for your birth. Happy Birthday, Kristen. You are precious in His sight.
    Faith is it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, happy new day at work, and happy new home. Sometimes with change you need to have faith that everything will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Faith definitely keeps me grounded--and burying my head in the Scriptures, especially those about perseverance...

    So glad you are back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday!!!! Hope you adapt to your new place soon. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Husband keeps me grounded. Don't know what would happen to me if he went away. I'd be a big mess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, and Happy Birthday Sweetie, I almost forgot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Faith definitely helps keep me grounded. Happy Birthday, and I am glad you are started to get adjusted to your new home. I'm looking forward to the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back, Kristen! We missed you.

    How exciting! That feeling of newness will wear off as you make memories in your new home.

    My main character in Book 2 felt displaced. One minute he's a bigwig, and the next minute he's running for his life.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Hope your day is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Jessica! Me too!

    You too, Tamika! Hope your unplug week was great!

    I love that, Tabitha! Silence has a way of opening the doors for peace--love that!

    Thanks, Jennifer! I got to spend it with a friend taking pictures. A great day!

    Thank you, Jody!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, John! I took your advice! :0)

    Thanks, T.Anne! Have a great unplug week!

    Friends are great for that, Elizabeth! I'm so thankful for mine! Thank you!

    Thanks, Cindy! I can't wait to see it when it's ready!

    Wow, Susan--I definitely want to read that story!

    Thanks, Krista!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you, Nicole, Patti Lacy, and Patti Nielson! It was a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy, happy Birthday to you. I hope it's been the kind of day that was full of warm fuzzies and smiles. Your new apartment sounds lovely and I'm sure it will soon be feeling familiar. Looking forward to seeing pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eventually, all things lead back to faith in God. The key is getting everything we do to start with him. We must rely on Him in order to keep standing most days. Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday! I kind of like that swirly head feeling you talked about. Sometimes change is such a good thing. I hope it is for you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Birthday, mine's coming up too, but there's not enough room here for the numbers...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Faith of course! Hanging on tightly these days:)
    Happy Belated birthday! My daughter turns 26 in a few weeks too! I'm happy you are excited about your apartment!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I turn 25 in September. Is it me or does it seem harder to keep track of birthdays when you hit your mid-20's? There just aren't any more monumental milestone birthdays for a while :) Enjoy your new house, it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy birthday!!

    Your new place sounds great. I look forward to the pics! Good luck with work and your new schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Kristen...congrats on the new place. It sounds perfect. praying as you begin new adventures and Faith faith faith is what keeps me grounded.

    Happy Birthday!!! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you everyone! It was a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete