29 January 2010

Add a Dash of Adventure...

Hey, Friends! Happy Friday!

This week we've talked about my big move and how we deal with displacement in our characters. Big things really help. Little things can make all the difference. But adventure makes it fun!

I originally thought I'd spend Saturday unpacking and trying to get my bearings. That didn't happen because upon arriving in my new hometown I was invited to go on a road trip to Chattanooga. The goal was to have fun, eat great food, see awesome friends, and McKays--the most magical place on earth.

McKay's is this incredible store that I wish we had in Georgia. Basically you can bring in movies, dvds, videos, video games, ipods, and books and sell them. You turn them in, get a number, and spend the time waiting sorting through the stacks of music and books. It's heaven. Check out this picture--how would you like to shop here? They had EVERYTHING!

A two story bookstore--with an elevator? Heaven!


For those who bring things to trade, you have the option of cash or a store credit (which is higher than the cash). So then you get to go nuts getting "free" stuff. So fun! Because I didn't know I was going until it was too late, I didn't have anything to trade. But I took a lot of notes on things I saw and would love to look for again. You can bet I'm going back! The entire back wall was inspirational fiction.



The prize of the day for me was the shelf above. I couldn't believe it when I found one labeled and dedicated to the most super sleuth of all time: Trixie Belden. I'm trying to collect the entire series again (that's a long story) and am missing a lot of books. They are pretty hard to find unless you look online, where they are too expensive. McKay's had four, one of which I didn't have. Woohoo!! Now I have book #11--Mystery of the Bob-White Cave!

It was a little thing combined with an adventure in a magical place (oh, the stories in that room!). Just what I needed for my first weekend in my new life!

I'm not a very spontaneous person so Saturday's trip was even more fun--and very needed. Best of all, it was just great to be with friends. Sometimes unexpected adventures are exactly what we--and our characters--need!

Have a great weekend! See y'all Monday!

18 comments:

  1. A road trip to Chattanooga sounds fun (I love the song-- Track 29, boy won't you give me a shine) What a wonderful place. Oh, it would totally blow my budget, but in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Kristen! I'm drooling too, panting and drooling!!! What a great place. I'm glad you had fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A writer's haven! I would be happily lost in a place like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post, Kristen!! What a fun adventure! And thanks for the name of a place I'll definitely need to check out! Trixie Belden was one of my faves too! I'm sure I still have some amongst the boxes in our basement! Glad the transition is going well! Have a blessed and spontaneous weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. Goodness.

    That library is my idea of heaven. I just want to clamber on top of those bookcases and lose myself there for hours. That is just beautiful. :)

    And thank you so much for your delightful comment, it sent a much-needed glow of poetry over my day.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun, serendipitous adventure for you! I want to go to that store!!!! Let me know next time you go, and I'll ride along.

    Hope you get settled in and are happy with your new job, Kristen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!!! That place would make my head spin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, holy brown cows. A person could get lost in there! So cool you found a book you didn't have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a place!!! LOL I have some trixie books!! She was my favorite growing up. Read them to my daughter too. I didn't know they were hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Kristen, that place looks so neat. I want to go.. And I loved the Trixie books. Wow. I'm glad you stepped out of 'character' and got to have some fun...Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like an incredible place to spend the day. I'm glad you found something you were looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, heaven! Glad you found what you've been looking for.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like heaven!! Wow...that picture is insane! Hope you havea blessed weekend, Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun, Kristen! If I ever find myself in Chattanooga, TN, I'll have to explore that place.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad that things started out on such an up beat. What a fun day, friends and books, doesn't get much better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, WOW!!! What a picture!!!! Goodness, I haven't thought of Trixie Beldon in AGES!!!

    Thanks, oh, thanks, for the memories!!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm wild about McKays! I have to limit myself big time when I go :)

    ReplyDelete