02 November 2009

A Signature Start



First of all, I have GREAT news! I just found out that a magazine will publish one of my short stories! I'm so excited! This is also very ironic because I rarely write short stories. I'll let you know when it happens. It'll be sometime next spring. For now, WOOHHOOOO!!! Please celebrate with me! It's been so long since I last saw my name in print. Now I have three pieces "in waiting" for the first time in years (a nonfiction article and two short stories--I know, the irony). Now if only I could get someone to fall in love with my novel...

While searching through hundreds of blog layouts for one with just the right amount of bright colors, I noticed something interesting. As I googled random sites and scrolled through pages of possibilities, I recognized certain layouts. "I can't use that one," I shook my head, "It's so-and-so's blog." Instantly, mental images of your blogs and your posts came to mind. I could hear your voices--amongst all the others I usually hear! Many of you have become so "signature" in my mind that a simple template makes me remember what you've written. Good for you!

Does anyone else find this blogging thing hard? Besides the time element, there's the need to be creative and be ourselves at the same time. Sometimes I think through a list of topics before arriving at the right one, because the others have been covered recently--and discussed so well that I don't want to repeat the topic so soon. It's hard to be consistently unique.

But each week, we do it. We look at our world and use examples from our lives. We write and use that in our posts. We contemplate current events and discuss them--and their impact on our writing as well. It's fun. It takes a lot of time. Sometimes we're able to write ahead of schedule and sometimes it's a last minute post. Either way, our marks are all over them.

It's the same with our books. Just as our individual blogs can be recognized by a single color or phrase, so our stories can as well. Our voices are so unique that we can tackle similar issues in different ways and come out with completely creative manuscripts. Just as there is room for us in Blogdom, so there's room for us in the industry. Despite discouraging rumors of agencies and publishers being closed to unknowns, pre-published authors are still getting those phone calls, signing those contracts, and starting that huge process. Even the economy can't completely block us out.

The trick is to be ourselves. To write what we love and feel the most passionate about, the stories we are charged to share. And then stepping out on courage by offering them to the world. We need to believe that there is space for us too.

On Wednesday we'll talk more about our unique signatures!




As you can see, there have been some big changes on this blog! A new layout, a new posting schedule, and the official "I'm very cool because I'm a member of ACFW" box. That's right--I'm a member now! Woohoo! I'm very excited.

The biggest change for y'all is that I'm adding an extra day. Starting this week, I'm going to post on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Every other Friday will still be a book feature, the other days will be something else fun. I hope you like it!



***Image found on Google Images***

29 comments:

  1. nice new look. I find blogging fun and challenging. Finding topics that I can write about with passion and meaning is not always easy. Being transparent is sometimes difficult when pride wants to rear its head but people will not be helped by our experiences if we are not truthful.
    Thanks for this post
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new look. I agree with you that our voices are all different. We could all blog about the same thing on any given day, and it would come across different. And congrats on the short story! Great news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the short story *hugs* Hope it is very successful for you! Your blog page is awesome, as well as your writings. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new look, as well! Congratulations on your short story being published. That's really exciting! And I agree, we all have such unique voices. I find myself thinking of blogging buddies even when I've stepped away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great changes on your blog...it looks fantastic. Congratulations on being published!

    Blogging is really tough. But so rewarding!

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Congrats on the magazine buy! Awesome.
    :-)
    I love blogging. The hardest thing for me is finding time sometimes. Great look Kristen! I love the pretty flowers on the side. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the acceptance. Nothing feels better than your work finding a good home. I prefer to write short stories, not sure I'll ever write a serious novel. Sure NaNo is fun but . . .

    Keep in mind I nice bunch of short story credits in strong markets can peak an agents interest when mentioned in a cover letter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on that short story. That is great news.:))

    I love blogging and I honestly never consider what others are blogging about. I am who I am on my blog. So far that is working for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS!!!!!!!! That is SO exciting!! I'm very much like you - I rarely write short stories. But they're a nice way to get your name out there!! So happy for you, Kristen!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Voice makes all the difference, even on blogs, even on blog comments. I don't pay much attention to whether someone has already tackled a topic. I might unintentionally repeat, but hopefully my repeat will resound with my voice.

    Love your new look. Glad you'll be around more.

    And, congratulations on the forthcoming publication!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your story. What great news to hear on a Monday :D

    I like the look of your blog and I think the blogging schedule sounds great. It seems to help some to stick to the schedule. And I agree, blogging is hard. There are weeks when I want to post every day and weeks when I don't want to post at all. And being creative, even for creative minded people, for every single post is a challenge. But writer like challenges, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kristen, Congrats on the short story! I am sure there will be more to come. It is so much fun to see your name in print:) Your thoughts on blogging reflect many I've thought about since I started blogging. I forget too, that our blogs are our online 'voice'. More than likely, if we were to meet in person, you would sound a lot like your blog. This is a good thing. Blessings to you and your readers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! LOVE your blog layout by the way!! Daisies are my favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "The trick is to be ourselves"

    yes, so true. In writing and in life.

    Love the fresh, pretty look and WA-HOO! for the publication that is forthcoming :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Everyone!!! Thanks for being happy for me!

    Rebecca, I'll definitely remember that! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the short story. I should probably try writing one. Love your blogging template.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So happy for your short story acceptance. That is great encouragement! Keep up the good work!

    Really like your new choices-I love daisies, they last so long!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the new look. Yes, posting everyday can cause me a lot of pressure at times. other times, so much is happening I can get back logged on drafts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful! Congrats on the short story!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on your soon to be published short story!! Hooray for you!! Love the new look, too! You're right that our blogs are as unique as we are, even when topics discussed may be similar. Keep up the great posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on the story! That's great!

    Yes - I find blogging a bit tedious at times. I'm a newbie at it (2 months running), and I've already had to document for myself some topics I've covered so I don't repeat myself.

    But, I do love it, or I guess I'd quit blogging altogether. The best part about it is communicating with other people who love writing as much as I do!

    http://writerscorner-traci.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are not alone Kristen. Blogging can be a little hard when you're trying to do too many things at the same time on top of trying to write a good post. But I'm so glad I have met such wonderful people here,(like you:) that help me through their blogs.
    Congrats on your stories... so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the flowery new look. Blogging is hard at times. My life is not that interesting on a day to day basis. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on the short story publication. That's wonderful news.

    Having a unique identity on the web is certainly desired, and with all the templates out there, it is getting easier. Your flowers are beautiful, Kristen.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Kristin. I'm a first-timer to your blog, so I can't comment on the changes. But I can tell you congratulations on publishing your short stories and non-fiction. Wow!
    And yes, blogging is hard, but oh so rewarding. I can't believe the connections I've made with people I haven't met (in person, that is). Look forward to getting to know you.
    karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think blogging is hard at times, but mostly I don't like the time it takes because it takes up the limited time I have.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I do my best to keep the blogging non-stressful. I don't fiddle with my look. I enjoy seeing how others make their blogs so beautiful, but haven't gone to great lengths myself. Yours is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on the articles and blog layout! Can't wait to read more about our unique siggies!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I feel horrible that I haven't read your blog in so long! The changes are wonderful and I really like the "I'm cool now because I'm a member" badge :) And congrats on the articles. That is super exciting!! You deserve it, my friend!

    J

    ReplyDelete