13 November 2009

It's Feature Friday!

In honor of this week's focus of the reconstruction and repair, I'd love to feature my novel--not because it's a work in progress but because it deals with restoration. Unfortunately, since no brilliant agent or editor has managed to snatch me up and publish my literary masterpiece, this is impossible. And since I'm currently editing/re-writing bits of said sacred text, it might be a bit premature.

In honor of Feature Friday, I am going to feature my favorite book of all time. This is also exciting because it's the first place my name and my favorite writer's name have ever appeared in the same spot. Hopefully it won't be the last. Please cheer with me, even if it is self contrived! It keeps me dreaming of the day still to come!

This week's feature is Charles Martin's When Crickets Cry.


























BOOKPAGE has said that Charles Martin is the author of "God-haunted southern literature" and I couldn't agree more. He is so talented. Reading his books is more than just a few hours of entertainment; it's an experience. Martin averages a new book every 1.5-2 years, so when I get the chance to crack the spine for the first time on a new release, I know it's something I won't enjoy again for a while. I savor every word every time.

The back cover reads:
"It begins on the shaded town square in a sleepy southern town. A spirited seven-year-old has a brisk business at her lemonade stand. Her latest customer, a bearded stranger, drains his cup and heads for his car, his mind on a boat he's restoring at a nearby lake. But the little girl's pretty yellow dress can't quite hide the ugly scar on her chest. The stranger understands more about it than he wants to admit. And the beat-up break truck careening around the corner with its radio blaring is about to change the trajectory of both their lives.

Before it's over, they'll both know there are painful reasons why crickets cry. . . and that miracles lurk around unexpected corners
."

Martin's characters are rich beyond description. They are memorable. His setting is so real it replaces the world the reader is actually in. His storylines are breathtaking, his backstory expertly woven, and his prose, lyrical. Of all of his books, this one is my favorite. Wrapped in Rain and Chasing Fireflies, and Where the River Ends are tied for a close second. I love his depiction of nature, his perfect word choice, and his rhythm.

Hopefully one day I'll be compared to him--in a good way! Until then, I'll keep reading his books and dreaming of that day. Seriously, check him out! You won't regret it!

See y'all Monday!



***Image found on Google Images***

24 comments:

  1. Looks like a great read. Thanks for sharing. And yes, we can all hope to be compared to him someday. The sooner the better, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like it might be good for my book club when it's time for me to pick. Thanks for the tip!

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book! Just the brief spill on the back cover had my interest piqued.

    One day you will have a great legacy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to read this. I read his first book, found it at the library, and was completely impressed. He writes in a gorgeous way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can TOTALLY still feature your novel. Just share a snippit of an especailly poignant point. Share your thougths about it. I'd love to know more about what people are actually writing and why they chose to write what they did ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cover is really pretty. Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Tess! I'm tempted to, but am kind of scared to do this simply because I don't want someone (not y'all, my blogging friends, but someone I don't know who doesn't blog with integrity), to read my work (or even my ideas) and take it for themselves. It makes me scared to say much about my WIP except for HUGE generalities. I really appreciate you being interested... I'll think about posting some stuff in the future.

    Thank you, Tamika! I needed to read that today!

    I definitely agree, Jessica! I love that you've read him and think he's awesome too!

    You're welcome, Elizabeth!

    Definitely, Susan. I'm willing to wait, though--as long as it does happen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this one sounds like one I would read and not put down! I love the imagery and the richness of the description!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a huge chuckle out of your intro to this post - however "self-contrived" it may have been. ;) Love your attitude! The book looks great too. I may have to snoop around and see if I can get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kristen -

    The short excerpt has me hooked. I want to know what happens next.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    P.S. I can now comment on this format. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOOOHOOO, Susan! Thanks! Changing my format was on my "to do" list after I got your email. I'm glad!

    Hi, K.M! Thanks for coming by! It's nice to meet you! That was fun to write... I can't wait for the day to write my own intro to my own book!

    I come back to this book over and over, Terri, and it never disappoints. In fact, I'm due for a re-read soon. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I have a book by Charles Martin...Chasing Fireflies, I think. But I haven't gotten a chance ot read it yet. I LOVE literary fiction, so I'm sure I need to read this book! I'm really looking to get lost in a good book right now! Thanks for the feature Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristen, never stop dreaming! Print this post and put it where you can see. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love "Chasing Fireflies", Katie! It's awesome. I think you'll like it too. I hope it is everything a book should be for you.

    Thanks, Tara! I think I will. That's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed When Crickets Cry and hope that I can convince my book club to read it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely need to check out that book! Sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the review. I look to bloggers for the latest and greatest, not the traditional reviewers.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's awesome to have a specific author to aspire to be like. even better to pic their work apart and figure out what makes it so special to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds lovely. I still have not read him, even though you keep telling me too :) I understand the aspiring to be like another author. Not that I want to BE them, but I think aspirations help us aim higher than ourselves, help us get out of our comfort zones and reach for new stars. I long to one day have my books filed between L'Engle and Lewis. That will only happen if I change my last name, but I'm sure they'll be grouped together somehow, someway, in some bookstore :)

    Happy weekend,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  20. They definitely will, Friend! I believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd never heard of it but with that endorsement I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sure some brilliant agent will snatch up your masterpiece at some point. If not, they would not be brilliant, now would they? Rooting for you. it'll happen! Blessings:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. HAHA! True! I love your logic! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete