18 September 2009

A Delirious Summer


























A Delirious Summer by Ray Blackston

With six novels to his name, Ray Blackston is probably someone you've heard of, if not read. I love his loose trilogy, Flabbergasted, A Delirious Summer, and Lost in Rooville. They are some of the funniest books I've ever read, dealing with singlehood, the South, and missions. I guess it's a no brainer why I like them! :0)

Ray Blackston addresses each of these issues so well and does it with incredible humor. I love his description of the South (which is too true), his take on being single from a guy's perspective (this is "lad lit", after all), and his description of missions and South America, a land that I know, love, and would love to return to. A Delirious Summer is my favorite simply because it provides the largest view of missions and the missions mindset. I also really like the couple depicted in that particular book. His characters through out are hilarious and well constructed, making all of his books definitely worth the read!

If you're looking for some books that will make you laugh, these will probably do it. Blackston uses his humor to really focus in on truth, something we talked about earlier this week. He does a great job of asking questions and presenting possibilities, but lets the reader figure out the answers on his/her own. These books are definitely worth the money, especially if you love chit lit/lad lit.

Happy Reading!!

See y'all Tuesday!!

13 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I will have to check this one out. I don't think I have ever read a 'lad lit' before :) But I love a book that can make me laugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely need something light and relaxing. I haven't read his books before (and I love Southern settings!)

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when humor is done well. I'll have to look into this.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good! I love humorous books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good. I'll put them on my list. I love that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I have never heard of lad lit. Thanks for this excellent review. Have a great weekend,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. The books are so good I have read them more than once. And my friend actually owns them and periodically rereads them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome cover. I'm just going to say that if a book has a cover like that, I'm about ten times more likely to pick it up and read the back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree, Stephanie! I love it when books have great covers! It makes it even more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read a couple of his books. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of him before, but I for sure love a funny book. :-) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never heard of him. Will have to check out his books. I'm from Canada where Laff Festival is super huge. To be able to tell the truth with humour is the best. Stay safe. Sarah

    ReplyDelete