04 September 2009

Childhood Friends

Do you remember the first stories you ever heard? What about the first ones you read for yourself? What were they? What books were your friends growing up?

The first stories (outside of the Bible) that I remember being read to me were Brer Rabbit. My babysitter used to keep me entertained for what felt like hours by his many escapades. Those stories are the first that I remember falling in love with.

When I was in first grade, my teacher read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe to my class. What amazes me now is how, even then at six years old, I knew that the Lion was like Jesus. It's proof to me that children can understand adult truth if you just give them the chance.

The first series' I read were the Elizabeth Gail series, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and Christy Miller, Nancy Drew, Sweet Valley Kids, and Sweet Valley High. But the series I loved the most was Trixie Belden. Have you ever read them?



Trixie Belden is a teen detective who solves mysteries along with her brothers and best friends. She always seems to find herself in the thick of trouble and ingeniously catches criminals, much to the local police's chagrin. For her safety, they want her to keep away from police business. But she can't help it. Mysteries find her. And with the help of her friends and family, the Bob White club, they live one adventure after another.

As a child, I couldn't get enough of Trixie Belden. A few months ago, I found a box in my parents' basement filled with her books. I was ecstatic. My mom and I had the hardest time finding the final books of the series, though, so my set is incomplete. I'm hoping that with the help of Amazon and Ebay I can finally find the rest. Until then, I can't wait to re-read this incredible series! Even the box they were in has that wonderful "old book" smell. This is going to be a lot of fun!

If you're ever looking for a clean read, a good mystery, something that both reminds you of your childhood era and takes you into another world at the same time, I definitely recommend this series!

Happy reading! I'll see y'all Tuesday!




***Image found on "Google Images"***

24 comments:

  1. I saw that picture come up in my dashboard reader thingy and went, "Oh, Trixie my love, where have you been!" I LOVED those books. And I had totally forgotten about them! Thanks for a very nice trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first full-length books I remember reading were those by Beverly Cleary. I loved Beezus and Ramona. I also read The Bobbsey Twins, the Little House books, Nancy Drew, and the Hardy Boys. My favorite book was Little Women. I still have the tear-stained unabridged copy I spent $10 of hard-to-come-by allowance money on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never read Trixie Belden, but I loved Nancy Drew. :-) Also, the Sweet Valley series, Babysitter's Club, Beverly Cleary books, oh so many! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were we separated at birth? :) My dad read Brer Rabbit to me almost nightly (in full dialect.)

    And Trixie was one of my heroes! She even got in trouble (unlike Nancy Drew, whom I also enjoyed.) And there was just the slightest hint of romance between Trixie and Jim. :)

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom was such a huge reader to me and my brothers growing up. I'm so grateful to her for the wide variety of stories she read. And she modeled a love of reading and so was able to pass that on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm partial to Frog and Toad. :D
    Have a blessed weekend.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was hooked on Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, and The Secret Garden. I read those books over and over and over.

    I have such strong memories of books as a child. Even then, I guess I was preparing to be a writer. :)

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure how I missed the Trixie series, but I'm going to hunt them down now!

    The first books I remember reading were Anne of Green Gables, Nancy Drew, A Wrinkle in Time (still my favorite...Calvin O'Keefe was my first love!) and a delightful series called "In Grandma's Attic".

    I've been finding so many books during my move. I'm delight you found this box of treasures! Enjoy them this long weekend :)

    J

    ReplyDelete
  9. i feel like i've missed out! what the heck? trixie series? thanks for this post....i'm going to make sure my daughter doesn't miss out on a great series!

    jeannie
    Where Romance Meets Therapy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's see...I remember reading those Golden Books. We even were in a book club of some sort. I read a little Nancy Drew but I got bored with it. I loved Judy Blume but I didn't become a voracious reader 'til junior high. That was when they were passing around V.C. Andrews' Flowers in the Attic and I read every single one in that series, plus her other series, before moving on to Stephen King...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Beverly Cleary and the Babysitter's Club! Those really were great!

    Elizabeth, that's awesome! I'm glad someone loves Brer Rabbit as much as I do!

    To those of you with parents who read to you, please know how blessed you are! And please read to your children. It's such an incredible gift, something I wish my parents would have done more with me!

    Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I'm glad so many of you loved Trixie as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have this series on our bookshelf, but the kids don't love them as much as I did. Writing is so much snappier now that it was back in the day...they just don't have the patience for the writing *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did not read these as a child. How cool, though, that you have them. I bet it was fun finding them, and it will be fun tracking down the rest. Good luck completing the set.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kristan, I do remember Trixie Belden and love that series. Also loved Little Men, Anne of Green Gables, Helen Keller and Anne Frank.Have a great week. Stay safe. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so hard to find a clean read these days. Thanx for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Trixie Belden as a little girl. Same with The Little House books. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I loved the Boxcar Children.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Tara! You're welcome! And thanks for coming over here!

    Tess, I've wondered about that for me, if going back to re-read them would be odd because they are so different from what's printed now. It'll be interesting to see....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've also never heard of this series!

    Books that have a great deal of nostalgia attached to them:

    -The Phantom Tollbooth
    -Bernstein Bears
    -Clifford
    -Curious George
    -Winnie the Poo
    -Anything by Judy Blume, but most especially Super Fudge
    -Babysitters Club!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also was a Trixie girl. My mom read them as a child and then found about 20 issues at a garage sale for me to enjoy. They gave me a love for mysteries! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Charlotte's Web is about the earliest I remember. Being the fourth child, I never got many books read to me, I don't think. Mom was way too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved Morris' Disappearing Bag and Uncle Wiggly...those being some of the books I still have from when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kristen: Thanks for reminding me of the hours we spent at our beloved library. My first ones to read by myself were the Beverly Cleary books. I think it's interesting that I married a man from Portland, Oregon, where Mrs. Clearly is from.

    I never read Trixie Beldon. I'll have to look for those for my granddaughters.
    Blessings,
    Jen
    Audience of ONE
    P.S. Prize givaway on my blog Monday! I'd love you to pop over!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Answered your statcounter question back over on my blog...

    ReplyDelete