07 August 2009

A Book of Light























W. Dale Cramer’s
Summer of Light


"Religion," the Man with No Hands said quietly, staring at his feet. "Religion is what regular people get in order to stay out of hell. People who have already been to hell don't want religion, they just want to know God." --W. Dale Cramer, Summer of Light.

After writing Thursday's post, I knew the perfect book to feature this week. It wasn't even a contest. Summer of Light completely exemplifies what we talked about yesterday. As a writer, this book has taught me a lot about the Art of story. And best of all, it makes me laugh every single time. It might actually be a tie for the “most read” book on my shelves.

W. Dale Cramer's voice is very beautiful, full of natural imagery and a striking vocabulary. His stories are so unique and so well constructed that it's difficult to pull away and re-enter the "real world". As a Southerner, I really appreciate the world his characters live in. You see, this author is from my area of South Atlanta, something that really makes me tremble. Oh, to run into him at the post office! That would be really cool.

Of his four novels, Summer of Light is my favorite. It's also the only one he wrote in first person. Cramer seems to have a lot of fun with his protagonist, Mick, a construction worker who learns the hard way what it means to be “Mr. Mom.” Along the way he finds a renewed faith in God and also a deep passion for photography. With many hilarious events that take place and a world full of quirky characters, like a daughter nicknamed “Toad” and a diabolically intelligent dog named Andy, this is literally the funniest book I’ve ever read.

This is my “feel good” book, the book that literally makes me laugh out loud, even in a quiet room. I don’t have children, but I believe that all parents would really be able to commiserate with Mick, who is just trying to keep up with the speed of life. It’s a really good story. If you run into this book in a store or online, don’t miss the opportunity to read it. It’s definitely worth it.

Enjoy!!!

Question for you: What books make you laugh?




This is my last post for a few weeks, because I leave on Monday for Cambodia. On the way back, I’m going to stop in India for a few days and see my “babies” (picture posted on Thursday’s blog) at Asha House. I will return at the end of the month, probably exhausted out of my mind but pumped as to what God is doing—and full of stories!!! Anywho, PLEASE COME BACK!!! I will try to post on here while I am away, but I cannot make promises as to how often that will happen. My time there is so short that I want to make sure I spend every moment I can with those I am ministering to. I plan to begin posting again (at the very latest) on September 1, 2009. See you all then!!!

For updates on my trip while I am away, please visit my missions blog at ktsummer.blogspot.com. Or just click on the link on my blog list. It’s the one titled: “Summer Daze”.

Have a great couple of weeks!

7 comments:

  1. I love that cover, Kristen!

    Have a safe trip! I'll be checking out your other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, the book sounds so good. I think I'm going to have to add it to my wish list.

    Have a wonderful and blessed time on your trip. I'm sure it will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed at what God is calling you to do for his Kingdom! My prayers are with you in Cambodia!! And I will for sure be back to here all about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...cambodia! that's awesome. i'll be praying for you while you're gone. thanks for visiting my blog and offering encouragement! :) god bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm praying for you, dear friend! Be blessed as you minster in Cambodia and love on those babies for me too :)
    As for books that make me laugh? The book I remember laughing out loud the most in was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I hear Ron tell Harry as they are reading tea leaves, "Well, this here means 'suffering' and this means 'joy'. So, it looks like you're going to suffer a lot but you're going to be happy about it!" Makes me laugh, every time!

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Friends! Happy August! Thanks so much for your encouragement. I'll be praying for y'all as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, sounds like an amazing trip! We will miss you around the blogosphere. Just as we were starting to get to know you, you're off, but on a very cool trip! Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete